Name : Yogacharya Dr. ANANDA BALAYOGI BHAVANANI
PARENTS NAME : Yogamaharishi Dr. Swami Gitananda Giri Guru Maharaj
Kalaimamani Yogacharini Smt. Meenakshi Devi Bhavanani
Date of Birth : 16th April 1972, Pondicherry, South India
· “MATTALA VITTAGA MAMANI” title awarded by Valluvar Villisai Kuzhu, Pondicherry (2008).
· “MUTHAMIZH SUVAIGNAR” title awarded by Valluvar Villisai Kuzhu, Pondicherry (2008).
· “SEVAI THILAKAM” title awarded by Kalaithai Kalai Sangam in July 2008.
· “SHIVA YOGA CHUDAR” title awarded by Muthamizh Mamani Pulavar I Pattabiramane at Sambandar Charitram Dance Drama (2008).
· “YOGA KALAIMAMANI” title awarded by Valluvar Villisai Kuzhu, under direction of Muthamizh Mamani Pulavar I Pattabiramane on occasion of the 23rd Pondicherry State Yoga Sports Championship (2008).
· “YOGA THILAKAM” title awarded by Shakthi Medical Trust, under direction of Dr Paramakedou on 21st May 2009.
· “SIVANERI ISAI CHEMMAL” title awarded by Paniru Thirumurai Pannatu Manadu (World Shaiva Tamil Conference), under direction of Shri V Narayanasamy on 13th February 2010 at Pondicherry.
1. YOGA FOR CHILDREN (1985)
2. YOGA FOR MODERN MAN (2002)
3. THEORY SYLLABUS FOR YOGA COMPETITIONS (2002)
4. A YOGIC APPROACH TO STRESS (2003), (2nd ed-2007)
5. A PRIMER OF YOGA THEORY (2004), (3rd ed-2008)
6. YOGA VINA VIDAI THOGUPPU (Tamil-2005), (2nd ed-2010)
7. YOGA: 1 TO 10 (2005)
8. BASIC LESSONS IN HATHA YOGA (TAMIL-2006)
9. Revised and edited the second edition of Dr Swami Gitananda Giri’s CORRECTION OF BREATHING DISORDERS THROUGH RISHICULTURE ASHTANGA YOGA (2006).
10. Revised and edited the second edition of Dr Swami Gitananda Giri’s MUDRAS (2006).
11. YOGA FOR WEIGHT REDUCTION.(2008)
12. YOGA FOR HEALTH AND HEALING (2008)
13. CHAKRAS: THE PSYCHIC CENTRES OF YOGA & TANTRA (2008)
14. PRANAYAMA IN THE GITANANDA YOGA TRADITION (2008)
15. YOGA FOR WEIGHT REDUCTION (TAMIL-2009)
16. HATHA YOGA OF THE GITANANDA YOGA TRADITION (2009)
17. MEDITATION THE INNER YOGA (2009)
1. NOTES FOR PRACTICAL YOGA CLASSES. A booklet prepared for the INTERNATIONAL YOGA FESTIVAL conducted by Pondicherry Government’s Tourism Department. (2000 copies printed in 2006, 1500 copies reprinted in 2007, 1500 in 2008 and 1500 in 2009)
2. Compiled and edited 130 paged notes for the subject, “Scientific Basis of Yoga Education” for students of the D.Y.Ed course at Pondicherry University Community College (2006).
3. Compiled and edited 135 paged notes for the subject, “Principles and Methods of Yoga Therapy” for students of the D.Y.Ed course at Pondicherry University Community College (2007).
4. Compiled and edited 41 paged notes for the subject, “YOGA PRACTICALS-I” for students of the PGDY and D.Y.Ed courses at Pondicherry University Community College (2007).
5. Compiled and edited 62 paged notes for the subject, “YOGA PRACTICALS-II” for students of the PGDY and D.Y.Ed courses at Pondicherry University Community College (2007).
6. Compiled and edited 122 paged notes for the subject, “Principles and Methods of Yoga Practices” for students of the D.Y.Ed course at Pondicherry University Community College (2009).
7. Assisted Dr Madanmohan, Programme Director ACYTER, JIPMER in compiling Proceedings of the National Workshop on Introducing Yoga in the Medical Curriculum (2009-10).
8. Assisted Dr IV Basavaraddi, Director, MDNIY, New Delhi in compiling a booklet on “YOGA & TECHNOSTRESS” for Yoga Week 2010 conducted by MDNIY (2010).
9. Compiled 60 paged handout materials for the National Workshop on Role of Yoga in Prevention and Management of Hypertension, ACYTER, JIPMER, Pondicherry (2010).
10. Compiled 60 paged educational handout materials on the Role of Yoga in Prevention and Management of Diabetes Mellitus, ACYTER, JIPMER, Pondicherry (2010).
I. VIDEO PRODUCTIONS:
1) Pranayama For Health And Well Being
2) Yoga for insomnia by Amma (Dhivyananda creations)
3) Satyam-Shivam-Sundaram (Dhivyananda creations)
4) Yoga Mudras- gestures for your hands, feet and eyes
5) Body Talk- Yoga gestures of the human body
6) Yoga Stress Busters
7) Yoga for breathing disorders
8) Yoga for weight loss
9) Meditation: The Inner Yoga
10) Chakras: the psychic centres of Yoga and Tantra
11) Yoga for diabetes
12) Yoga for hypertension
13) Yoga for spinal health
14) Yoga for healthy digestion
15) Yoga for arthritis
16) Yoga for pelvic health
17) Yoga for sleeping disorders
18) Advanced Pranayamas
v YOGA LIFE. International Journal of Yoga Jivana Satsangha (International), Ananda Ashram, Pondicherry.
v YOGA VIJNANA, Journal of MDNIY, New Delhi, India
v YOGA NEWS. e-newsletter of the International Yogalayam
v NISARGOPACHAR VARTA. Journal of the National Institute of Naturopathy (N.I.N), Pune, Maharasthra.
v INTEGRAL YOGA MAGAZINE, Yogville, USA
v KAIVALYADHAMA NEWSLETTER from Lonavla, India
v YOGA STUDIES. Tri-annual e-newsletter of the Yoga Research and Education Center (YREC) and International Association of Yoga Therapists (IAYT), USA.
v YOGA SADHANA Journal. Bi Annual Yoga Journal of the Lotus Yoga Retreat, New Zealand.
v INTERNATIONAL LIGHT. Yoga Journal of the International Yoga teachers Association (IYTA), Australia.
v YOGIC PRAKRITIK JEEVAN SANDESH. Newsletter of CCRYN, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, New Delhi.
v SOUVENIR OF INTERNATIONAL YOGA FESTIVAL, Tourism Dept, Govt. of Pondicherry. 2001, 2002 and 2003.
v WEEKLY YOGA COLUMN in the Tamil newspaper DHINAGARAN from September 2004 to March 2006.
v EDITOR OF INTERNATIONAL YOGA FESTIVAL SOUVENIR, Tourism Dept, Govt. of Pondicherry. (2002, 2003 and 2004).
v WEEKLY YOGA COLUMN in Tamil newspaper MALAR PLUS from August 2005 to March 2006.
v WEEKLY YOGA COLUMN in Tamil magazine DEVI July –August 2006.
v TATTVALOKA. Journal of Sri Sringeri Sharadha Peetham, India.
BHARATA NATYAM ARTISTE, TEACHER AND CHOREOGRAPHER:
He was a performer of Bharatanatyam and has performed all over India and notably at the ABHAI National Dance Festival in 1992. Following his father's Maha Samadhi on Dec. 29-1993 he has stopped his dance performances and instead, focused his attention on Dance Choreography, especially in the rhythmic aspect for Yoganjali Natyalayam.
He has helped to choreograph 9 Major Dance Dramas and 12 Mini Dance Dramas for Yoganjali Natyalayam in the last 10 years. His students who have completed Nine Year Diplomas and Seven Year Certificates from Yoganjali Natyalayam and performed their Bharatanatyam Arangetram include V Renukadevi, D Lakshmi, Padma M Prashanthini, Shreya Agrawal, R Sruti, Shilpa Balaji, T Tamilarasan, G Kanimozhi, U Kokila and G Charulatha.
In the last few years he has CO-DIRECTED the “Ramavathara” (2003), “Pancha Maha Bhuta” (2004), “Jayadeva’s Dasavathara” (2005) , “Navagraha Vazhipaadu: A homage to the Navagrahas” (2006), “Karna Charitram” (2007), Namashivaya Vazhga – The Story of Thiru Gnana Sambandar (2008) and Panchali Sabadam (2009).
He has also recently composed the music as well as choreographed two complete Bharatanatyam Margams (the classical performing repertoire) that could be called an “Ananda Nartana Margam”. He has composed the lyrics and music and choreographed many Bharatanatyam items including Ganeshanjali, Pushpanjalis, Jathiswarams, Varnams, Padams and Thillanas.
YOGA RESEARCH EXPERIENCE:
MAJOR PAPER PRESENTATIONS AT CONFERENCES:
YOGA TEACHING EXPERIENCE:
1. Yoganjali Natyalayam- Theory & practical classes - 17 years. Has trained thousands in classes on Yoga Theory, Practicals, Shat Kriyas, Yoga Psychology, Yoga Therapy, Yoga Anatomy & Physiology and Yoga Research.
2. International Centre for Yoga Education and Research (ICYER) – Trained nearly 100 teacher trainees in classes in Yoga Theory, Practicals, Shat Kriyas, Mantra Yoga, Laya Yoga, Yoga Psychology, Yoga Therapy, Yoga Anatomy & Physiology, Yantra and Yoga Research.- 12 Years.
3. Yoga instructor:
· Tagore Arts College- Dept of Philosophy. Theory & practical classes in Yoga for more than 250 BA students -30 hours every year- 9 years.
· Refresher courses for Pondicherry Govt. Physical Edu teachers though the Education department. 2002.
· Coordinated the “Feel of Yoga” classes at several venues in Pondicherry during the International Yoga Festivals conducted by Tourism Department, Govt of Pondicherry- 2006, 2007 & 2008.
4. Guest lecturer:
· Pondicherry Central University- Centre for Yoga Studies. Theory lectures for more than 30 PG Diploma in Yoga students-15 hours – 2002, 2003.
· Pondicherry University- Community College. For more than 25 Certificate in Yoga teaching (CYT) course students-2001, 2002.
· Annamalai University, Chidambaram. Conducted theory classes in scientific basics of Yoga and Yoga therapy for more than 250 Diploma and PG Diploma Yoga course students-June 2007.
· Annamalai University, Chidambaram. Conducted theory classes in Yoga therapy for more than 250 MSc Yoga and PG Diploma Yoga course students-March 2008.
· JIPMER (ACYTER) Pondicherry. Conducted theory lecture on, “Therapeutic potential of Yoga” and participated in question answer panel session, for nearly 100 medical students in the Orientation course for Professionals. –Aug 2008.
· MDNIY (Morarji Desai National Institute For Yoga), New Delhi. Conducted 15 hours of theory lectures on Yoga therapy modules for cardiovascular conditions and musculo-skeletal conditions for students of the DYT course from 17th to 21st November 2008.
· Pondicherry Dental College- Presented an invited talk on, “Therapeutic potential of Yoga” in the Clinical Society meeting of the Mahatma Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Dental Studies, Pondicherry–9 Aug 2009.
· Presented Invited Talks on, “Complementary and alternative therapies in HIV/AIDS” for the Workshop for Nursing professionals at JIPMER Nursing College, in September and October 2009.
· Presented invited talks on Yoga Research and Bridging Yoga and Modern Medicine at the Yoga Seminar for Doctors conducted by Kaivalyadhama Yoga Institute at Lonavla- February 2010.
5. Paper setting and valuation:
· Pondicherry Central University- Community College. Paper setting and valuation for final exam (CYT) in the subjects ‘Scientific basis of Yoga Education’ and ‘History and fundamentals of Yoga’- Jan and May 2003.
· Member of the CENTRAL EVALUATION COMMITTEE of DYT and DYS courses at Morarji Desai National Institute for Yoga, New Delhi-August 2007. Appointed paper setter for the DYT course examination in 2008.
· Morarji Desai National Institute for Yoga, New Delhi. Paper setting and valuation for DYT course- 2008.
6. Yoga Therapy Consultation – offered to more than 1000 patients of various medical conditions in the last 9 years at Yoganjali Natyalayam twice weekly on OPD basis. More than 1000 patients have benefited from personal consultation at ACYTER, JIPMER since March 2009.
7. Consultant Yoga expert:
v YOGA ACCREDITATION AND SYLLABUS COMMITTEES-Dept of AYUSH, Ministry of Health, Govt of India, New Delhi-2007
v YOGA BRAINSTORMING SESSION -Dept of AYUSH, Ministry of Health, Govt of India, New Delhi-7th April 2008
v SYLLABUS COMMITTEE MEETING FOR YOGA IN SCHOOLS-MDNIY, Dept of AYUSH, Ministry of Health, Govt of India, New Delhi-8th and 9th July 2009
v International Yoga Festival, Tourism Directorate, Govt of Pondicherry. Since 2001 onwards.
v Member, Selection Committee, INDIAN COUNCIL FOR CULTURAL RELATIONS (ICCR), Government of India, New Dehi-2010.
v SADAY School for Special Children, Pondicherry since 2005.
v SUPER AUDIO (Madras) Pvt Ltd since 2005.
v MEMBER EDITORIAL BOARD of YOGA MIMAMSA journal of KAIVALYADHAMA, Lonavla, Maharastra-since 2010
v REVIEW EDITOR of YOGA MIMAMSA journal of KAIVALYADHAMA, Lonavla, Maharastra-since 2007
v Member of the CONSULTATIVE MEETINGS FOR DISCUSSION OF YOGA ACCREDITATION- Policies and procedures conducted by the Dept of AYUSH, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Govt of India during National Yoga Week 2007 at New Delhi, March 2007.
v Member of the CONSULTATIVE MEETINGS FOR DISCUSSION OF YOGA ACCREDITATION- Policies and procedures conducted by the Dept of AYUSH, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Govt of India at sVYASA, Bangalore in June 2007.
v Member of the INSTITUTIONAL ANIMAL ETHICS COMMITTEE of the Pondicherry University (Central University) from 2007 onwards.
v OBL Ltd, Pondicherry. 2000.
v Parampara Camp- Bangalore. 2000.
v ACER India (Pvt) Ltd, Pondicherry. 2004.
v Interactive TV programme (Sky Sat) on Yoga for Sleep disorders in collaboration with the Yoga Research Project, Dept of Pharmacology, JIPMER, Pondicherry. 2004.
v Pondicherry Vetinary College, Guest Lecture on Yoga at the Faculty Club, Kirumbampet, Pondicherry.
v Bharatidasan Women’s College, Pondicherry. Guest Lecture on Yoga at the Dept of English—2005
v Rotary Cub of Pondicherry Central, Guest Lecture on Yoga, 29.3.2005 at Anandha Inn, Pondicherry
v Suicide Prevention Awareness Campaign, Community Service Scheme, Govt HSS, Karayanmbuthur, Pondicherry- Guest Lecture on Yoga, 8.5.2005 at Govt HSS, Karayanmbuthur, Pondicherry
v Nominated to the committee to examine the proposal of starting “PG Diploma Course in Yoga Therapy” at Pondicherry University by the Vice Chancellor in June 2005.
v Interactive programme on Yoga (All India Radio-Pondicherry Kendra) in the URAVU PALAM- a live phone in programme on 25th October 2005
v E-THINK. An academy that aims to provide training programmes in various aspects in a professional manner for kids. Trichy, South India (2006).
v Airtel India. Workshop on stress reduction for Airtel executives at Hotel Pondicherry Ashoka on 3rd march 2007.
v Member of the AD-HOC ACADEMIC COMMITTEE of Morarji Desai National Institute for Yoga, New Delhi-August 2007.
v Interactive programme on Yoga (All India Radio-Pondicherry Kendra) in the URAVU PALAM- a live phone in programme on 18th September 2007
v Interactive programme on Yoga (Deepam TV Channel) - a live phone in programme on 21st June 2008
v Talk on Yoga (All India Radio-Pondicherry Kendra) in the Vilayattu Arangam – in April 2009
v Special 15 day Yoga workshop for ZEST Beach Resort, Pondicherry-April 2009 and August 2009
v Appointed as a EXPERT REVIEWER by the International Journal of Yoga (ijoy) from sVYASA, Bangalore – May 2009
v Yoga for stress management programme at Shasun Chemicals, Pondicherry-2010
8. Resource person:
v Centre for Cultural Resources and Training (CCRT), Ministry of Culture, Govt of India, New Delhi: Guru in vocal music for R Shalini (2007) and Shreya Agrawal in Bharatanatyam (2008) in their Scholarships from CCRT
v Pondicherry Central University- Community College. For more than 60 Certificate in Yoga teaching (CYT) course students during 2003-04 and 2004-05 in the subject of Scientific Basis of Yoga.
v Pondicherry Central University- Community College. For more than 100 Diploma in Yoga Education (D.Y.Ed) course students since 2005 till date in the subject of Scientific Basis of Yoga and Principles of Yoga Therapy.
v Pondicherry Central University- Community College. For more than 40 PG Diploma in Yoga Education (PGDY) course students from 2007 till date in the subject of Scientific Basis of Yoga and Principles of Yoga Therapy.
v Pondicherry Central University- Study India Programme – Yoga Course and Bharatanataym Course. From 2004 till date
v Paper setter and examiner for DYT course conducted by the Morarji Desai National Institute for Yoga, New Delhi- 2007-08.
v Hemophilia Society Camp, Pondicherry. 2001-02 and 2006
v Arkaya Awareness Centre, Chennai
v Dr MGR Educational & Research Institute (Dr MGR Deemed University), Chennai for Certificate, Diploma, PG Diploma and BSc Yoga course students during 2004-05 in the subject of Scientific Basis of Yoga and Yoga Therapy.
v International CME on Yoga Therapy in the New Millennium. Organised by the Indian Academy of Yoga, BHU, Varanasi, UP. March 2005.
v National Workshop on Yogic Management of Stress. Organised by Dept of Physiology, JIPMER, Pondicherry. March, 2005
v National Conference on Yoga and Naturopathy for common man. Organised by the Indian Yoga Federation, Chandigarh -March 19th and 20th 2005
v 2ndInternational Conference, Yoga & Psychotherapy Association of India (YPAI) organised by the Dept. of Human Consciousness and Yogic Science, GK University Haridwar, November 2005.
v Coordinator and faculty member for the National Workshop on “Pranayama: techniques, physiological basis and therapeutic potential” organised by the Dept of Physiology, JIPMER, Pondicherry during the 51st Annual Conference of the Association of Physiologists and Pharmacologists of India (APPICON December 2005)
v Invited Faculty member and Panelist for the Symposium on “Yoga in contemporary medicine”. Organised by the Dept of Physiology, JIPMER, Pondicherry during the 51st Annual Conference of the Association of Physiologists and Pharmacologists of India (APPICON December 2005)
v Invited to present 2 workshops on Meditation at MILAN YOGA FESTIVAL 2007 in Milan, Italy from 19th to 21st October 2007.
v Invited to present a workshop and talk on YOGA AND MODERN MEDICINE at LOCARNO HOSPITAL in Switzerland, 23rd Oct 2007.
v Invited to present a talk on YOGA AND MODERN MEDICINE at the INDIAN EMBASSY -Tagore Cultural Centre in Berlin, Germany on the 25th October 2007.
v National Seminar on Social Relevance of Sanskrit organised by School of Humanities, Dept. of Sanskrit, Pondicherry University, Feb 2008.
v National Seminar on Yoga for respiratory problems organised by Vallabhai Patel Chest Institute, University of Delhi, 5th - 6th April 2008.
v Invited to present a daylong workshop at Cornwall on the 7th of September 2008.
v Invited to present a three day intensive retreat at South Wales, UK from the 12th to 14th September 2008.
v Invited to present a three day intensive Seminar on Pranayama at Monte Verita, Locarno, Switzerland, September 2008.
v Invited to present a talk on Mudras and Pranayama at INDIAN EMBASSY -Tagore Cultural centre, Berlin, Germany, Sept 2008.
v Invited to present a three day intensive Seminar on Hatha Yoga at the Finnish Centre in Berlin -September 2008.
v Invited to present a two day intensive Seminar on Yantra at the Gitananda Yoga Society in Berlin -September 2008.
v Invited to present talks, concerts, dance lessons, seminars and classes at the Gitananda Ashram in Savona, Italy - October 2008.
v National Workshop on “Fitness to combat lifestyle disorders”. Organised by Dept of Physical Education and Sports, Pondicherry University, Pondicherry. February 2009.
v Invited to present a three day intensive retreat at Geelong, Victoria by Gitananda Yoga Association of Australia. April 2009
v Invited to present an intensive seminar on YOGA at Augustine Centre in Melbourne on 16-17th April 2009. Hosted by National Institute of Integrative Medicine & Vibrational Breath Therapy, Australia.
v Invited to present an intensive workshop for the International Yoga Teachers Association (IYTA) in Sydney on April 19th 2009.
v Invited to present a three day intensive retreat at Paraparaumu, New Zealand by the Lotus Yoga Centre. April 22-24th 2009
v Invited to present an intensive workshop for the Gitananda Yoga Centre of Sydney at YWCA, Sydney on April 26th 2009.
v Invited to present talks, concerts and classes at the Annual Get together of the Gitananda Yoga Sadhakas at the Gold Coast, Australia from 27th to 30th April 2009.
v Invited to present a three day intensive retreat at Brisbane, Australia -May 2009.
v Invited to present a Seminar on Yoga Therapy at the Gitananda Yoga Society in Berlin –August 2009.
v Invited to present a 3-day retreat with talks, concerts, dance lessons, seminars and classes at the Gitananda Ashram in Savona, Italy – August 2009. He was accompanied by his wife Devasena Bhavanani who conducted classes on Yoga, Samskrit and Indian Classical Dance. They also gave numerous dance and music performances.
v RESOURCE PERSON for the workshop on YOGA FOR STRESS MANAGEMENT AND PERSONALITY DEVELOPMENT organized by ANANDITA and Gautam Buddha Health Care Foundation and sponsored by CCRYN, New Delhi at Pondicherry in January 2010.
v Invited to present a workshop on YOGA FOR TECHNOSTRESS at MDNIY, New Delhi during the National Yoga Week 2010.
v Invited to present a workshop on YOGA FOR NECK PAIN at ACYER, Gujarat Ayurved University, Jamnagar during the National Seminar cum Workshop on Yoga for Geriatric Care. March, 2010.
v Invited to present a three day intensive retreat along with public talks, classes and workshops at Cape Town in April 2010. Hosted by Anjali School of Yoga, South Africa.
9. JIPMER YOGA PROJECT –4 years- Planned and implemented Practical Yoga training for more than 250 JIPMER Staff, Students and Patients, 100 Kendriya Vidyalaya students,160 Pondicherry Police trainees,150 Pondicherry Police Constables, 110 Tagore Arts College students and 150 Indira Nagar school students
10. ACYTER (JIPMER YOGA PROJECT )– from March 2009 onwards
· Yoga Therapy OPD is functioning in Super Specialty Block of JIPMER. Yoga therapy consultations are offered Monday to Friday. Yoga therapy sessions for diabetes and cardiovascular diseases are being conducted at the ACYTER Yoga Hall. A senior citizen clinic is being conducted every Thursday. More than 2000 patients have benefited from OPD consultations and therapy sessions till date.
· Regular Yoga classes are being conducted on Monday, Wednesday and Friday at the ACYTER Yoga Hall. More than 100 persons have benefited from these classes till date.
· ACYTER has been active in conducting Yoga training for medical students, organizing a mass awareness programme in 48 schools of Puducherry and organized a National Workshop on “Introducing Yoga in Medical Curriculum” in March 2009. Regular academic programmes are being held every Saturday and three foreign delegations have also visited ACYTER and participated in the activities during 2009. Yoga awareness programmes have been conducted for staff and students of the Government Dental College and for participants of the nursing workshops at the JIPMER Nursing College. ACYTER also conducted Yoga and healthy lifestyle consultations for delegates attending Regional Official Language Conference -South and South Western Zone, at JIPMER in October 2009 and the International Yoga festival in January 2010. ACYTER also organized a Workshop-cum-Seminar on Yoga and CAM therapies for HIV/AIDS in collaboration with the Pondicherry AIDS Control Society in January 2010 and a National Workshop cum Seminar on Role of Yoga in Prevention and Management of Hypertension in March 2010.
TRADITIONAL YOGA EXPERIENCE:
Dr Ananda has been trained in Rishiculture Ashtanga (Gitananda) Yoga from the tender age of four when he was nominated as the successor to his father Yogamaharishi Dr Swami Gitananda Giri at Sri Kambaliswamy Madam. He grew up in a Gurukula atmosphere where the Yoga Vidya (Knowledge of the Art and Science of Yoga) was imbibed as a 24 hour a day Sadhana and not just a few classes now and then. He has from that tender age assisted his parents in the Yoga training imparted at Ananda Ashram, Sri Kambaliswamy Madam and ICYER.
Yoga for him is not just the performance of a few Asanas or Pranayamas but is a means for evolution of the human mind in to further states of consciousness and awareness.
He has attended various national and international Yoga Conferences all over the world and assisted in the conduct of three International Yoga Conferences under the guidance of his Guru-Parents Dr. Swami Gitananda and Smt Meenakshi Devi Bhavanani. He has been a Featured Speaker and Chairman at many sessions in the 16 International Yoga Festivals conducted by the Pondicherry Government Tourism Department since 1993. He has had 36 scientific and Yoga papers and 30 abstracts on Yoga and Yoga research published. He has also scripted and presented 18 DVDs on Yoga and 3 Dance drama productions in addition to 15 books and 10 notes compilations.
EXPERIENCE in YOGA SPORT COMPETITIONS:
v Yoga Sport Championships in the International Yoga Festivals conducted by the Pondicherry Government Tourism Directorate from 2001 onwards.
v Pondy State HIMALAYA Yoga Olympiad in October 2001 at ICYER in collaboration with Vivekananda Kendra Yogas, Bangalore.
v Pondicherry Team to Bangalore for the National HIMALAYA Yoga Olympiad in November 2001 where Pondicherry team placed a commendable SECOND OVERALL.
v SWAMI GITANANDA BEST YOGA YOUTH AWARD competitions every year since 2000.
v 17th - 18th Pondicherry State Yogasana Championship in November 2002 and 2003 at ICYER on behalf of Pondicherry Yogasana Association.
v Pondicherry Team to Kovilpatti for the 15th Tamil Nadu State Yogasana Championship conducted by the Tamil Nadu State Yoga Association and Sports Development Authority of Tamil Nadu (Tuticorin) on 9th and 10th August 2003.
v Pondicherry Team to Kancheepuram for the 2nd National Open Yogasana Championship conducted by the Narayana Guru Sevashram under auspices of Indian Yoga Federation and Tamil Nadu State Yoga Association on 24th and 25th July 2004.
v 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd, 23rd and 24th Pondicherry State Yoga Sport Championships in 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 at Pondicherry on behalf of Pondicherry Yogasana Association.
v 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th Tamil Nadu State Invitation Yoga Sport Championship in 2004, 2005 , 2006 and 2007 at Pondicherry on behalf of Pondicherry Yogasana Association.
2. ADVISOR: 1st Tamil Nadu State HIMALAYA YOGA OLYMPIAD. Organised by Padmam Yoga Academy and sVYASA at Trichy, Tamil Nadu. Dec 2005.
3. EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEMBER of the INDIAN YOGA FEDERATION, Kolkata. 2006-2010.
4. JURY at numerous National and International Yoga Competitions since 1993. Member, Executive Committee of INDIAN YOGA FEDERATION and State Coordinator for HIMALAYA YOGA OLYMPIAD.
5. PARTICIPATED in numerous Yoga Sport events from age of 6 to 15 and won numerous First Prizes in the Pondy State Yogasana Competitions. Stopped participating in competitions from the age of 15 as he felt the urge to take up the responsibility of organizing competitions.
v TAMIL (read, write and speak)
v ENGLISH (read, write and speak)
v HINDI (read and speak)
v SANSKRIT (read and write)
v Mridungam (All India Radio Artist Grade “B”)
v BHARATA NATYAM (Performer and Choreographer)
TITLE AWARDS :
“Yogacharya”, “Palkalai Chemmal”, “Sagala Kala Vallavan”, “Isai Sevagan”, “Puduvai Mannin Maindhan”, “Jnana Vruddha”, “Outstanding Young Person 2002”, “Yoga Vibhushan”, “Achiever Award 2003”, “Yoga Bishmacharya”, “Yoga Chakravarthy”, “ Muthaizh Suvaignar”, “ Mattala Vittaga Mamani”, “Sevai Thilagam”, “Shiva Yoga Chudar”, “Yoga Kalaimamani”, “ Yoga Thilagam”, “ Saivaneri Isai Chemmal”.
v Coordinated, composed and sang Classical Carnatic Music in English for the music album THE YOGA OF SOUND. (1998)
v Coordinated and sang exclusive Classical Carnatic Tamil compositions for the music album TAMIL INBAM. 1999
v Played Mridungam for Kalaimamani Pulavar Thiru I Pattabiraman’s Music Album- SENDHEN TAMILISAI (2002)
v Coordinated and played Mridungam for Smt Jyothirmayi’s Carnatic Vocal Music Album “BHAKTI MANI MALA” (2003)
v Coordinated the re-mastering and release of “BHAJANS WITH SWAMIJI” audio album of Ananda Ashram Bhajans (2003)
v Coordinated the production of “PANCHAKSHARA JAPA” audio album of Ananda Ashram’s Maha Shivaratri Chanting (2004)
v Coordinated the production of “PRANAVA SADHANA” audio album of Ananda Ashram’s AUM (OM) Chanting (2004)
v Played Mridungam for Dr M Harre Harren’s (Music therapist and healer) Indian Music Therapy (2005) produced by Magnetic Marketing (P) Ltd, Chennai.
v Played Mridungam for Dr M Harre Harren’s (Music therapist and healer) Nada Yoga Sangam (2005) produced by Magnetic Marketing (P) Ltd, Chennai.
v Played Mridungam for Dr M Harre Harren’s (Music therapist and healer) Music Therapy (2005) produced by Magnetic Marketing (P) Ltd, Chennai.
v BASICS OF MRIDUNGAM: a VCD on basic lessons on the Mridungam
v Coordinated the production of “YOGNAT DANCE ITEMS-1” an audio album with a collection of various items from Yoganjali Natyalayam live performances.
v Coordinated the production of “YOGNAT DANCE ITEMS-2” an audio album with a collection of various items from Yoganjali Natyalayam live performances.
v Coordinated the production of “YOGNAT DANCE ITEMS-3” an audio album with a collection of various items from Yoganjali Natyalayam live performances.
v Coordinated the production of “VINTAGE CLASSICAL VOCAL” an audio album with an archival collection of songs from a concert by Kalaimamani Srirengam R Ranganathan one South India’s greatest classical vocalist who was Dr Ananda’s musical Guru.
v Coordinated the production of “DIKSHITAR KRITHIS” an audio album with an archival collection of Muthuswami Dikshitar compositions sung by Kalaimamani Srirengam R Ranganathan one South India’s greatest classical vocalist who was Dr Ananda’s musical Guru.
v Composed and choreographed an entire Bharata Natyam Margam that has been released as a live audio CD “ANANDA NARTANA MARGAM” by Dhivyananda Creations in 2007.
Present Occupation :
a. International Centre for Yoga Education and Research (ICYER), Mettu St, Chinnamudaliarchavady, Tamil Nadu, India.
b. Yoganjali Natyalayam, 25, Iyyanar Nagar, Pondicherry.
c. Vishwa Yoga Samaj, Ananda Ashram, Pondicherry-9.
2. PROGRAMME COORDINATOR: Advanced Centre for Yoga Therapy, Education and Research (ACYTER), JIPMER, Puducherry from March 2009 onwards.
FORMER SENIOR RESEARCH FELLOW,
Yoga Research Project,
Department of Physiology, JIPMER, Pondicherry - 6. (From 2000 to 2004)
4. MANAGING PARTNER, DHIVYANANDA CREATIONS (Spiritual Publications, Multimedia Creations and Event Management), 44, 1st Cross, Iyyanar Nagar, Puducherry-13. firstname.lastname@example.org
5. HEREDITARY TRUSTEE and MADATHIPATHI of Sri Kambliswamy Madam (Samadhi), Thattanchavady, Pondicherry - 9.
a. Yoga Jivana Satsangha (International), Pondicherry
b. Asian Union of Yoga, New Delhi, India
7. REGISTERED MEDICAL DOCTOR (T.N.M.C. No.: 62838)
8. MEDICAL OFFICER: Village Health Programme and Child to Child Health Education Programme, Auroville Health Centre, Auroville, South India.(From 1999 till June 2008)
9. CONSULTANT YOGA THERAPIST (International Advisory Member International Association of Yoga Therapists, (IYAT) U.S.A and International Yoga therapy Association (IYA) of the International Yoga Federation (IYF), South America)
10. Honorary President: Pondicherry Yoga Teachers Welfare Association
11. PROFESSIONAL CARNATIC VOCALIST AND COMPOSER
12. PROFESSIONAL MRIDUNGIST
13. BHARATA NATYAM CHOREOGRAPHER
14. GENERAL SECRETARY: Pondicherry Yogasana Association, Pondicherry Music and Dance Artistes Association
15. STAFF ARTIST and contributor, YOGA LIFE, International Monthly Journal of Yoga Jivana Satsangha (International), Pondicherry, India.
16. EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEMBER of the Indian Yoga Federation, Kolkata. 2006-2010.
17. Member, Board of Trustees, Sri Aurobindo Siddha Research Foundation Trust, Pondicherry-1.
18. HONORARY ADVISOR:
a. IAYT (International Association of Yoga Therapists) U.S.A
b. Gitananda Yoga Societies/ Associations of Australia, USA, Italy, Switzerland, Germany and UK
c. WORLD YOGA COUNCIL of the International Yoga Federation, South America
d. Sanathana Dharma Sangha, Italy
e. Australian Association of Yoga Therapists, Australia
f. Anjali School of Yoga, South Africa
g. Vijeya School of Yoga, Switzerland
h. Yoga Alliance International, New Delhi
i. Puduchery Yoga and Naturopathy Association, Pondicherry-4
j. Gitanjali Yoga Centre, Vennila Nagar, Pondicherry-8
k. Sadagopan Yoga Centre, Puducherry-4
Life member :
v IMA (Indian Medical Association), New Delhi, India
v AbHai (Association of Bharata Natyam Artists of India), Chennai
v IAYT (International Association of Yoga Therapists) U.S.A
v APPI (Association of Physiologists and Pharmacologists of India)
v Indian Academy of Yoga, Banaras Hindu University, UP.
v IYA (International Yogatherapy Association), International Yoga Federation (IYF), South America
v Pondicherry Psychology Association, Pondicherry, India
v International Council of Yoga Sport, IYF, New Delhi.
No. 25, 2nd Cross, Iyyanar Nagar, Pondicherry - 605 013.
Phone: 0413 – 2241561, 0413 – 2622902. Mobile: 98423 11433
E-mail: email@example.com (or) (or)
Yogacharya Dr. Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani was born to the world famous Yoga team of Yogamaharishi Dr. Swami Gitananda Giri Guru Maharaj and Puduvai Kalaimamani, Yogamani, Yogacharini, Smt. Meenakshi Devi Bhavanani on April 16, 1972, at Pondicherry, South India.
He was reared in the 'Gurukula' atmosphere of Ananda Ashram, first at Lawspet and then at Sri Kambliswamy Madam in Thattanchavady, Pondicherry where the Yoga Vidya (Knowledge of the Art and Science of Yoga) was imbibed as a 24 hour a day Sadhana and not just a few classes now and then. Nominated as his Guru Father's successor on his fourth birthday itself as Madathiapathy of Sri Kambaliswamy Madam (an ancient Samadhi site), Ananda took great interest in the Hindu Rites and Rituals, Mantra, Yoga and the Carnatic Fine Arts from a young and tender age. He has been trained in Rishiculture Ashtanga (Gitananda) Yoga from that tender age. He has assisted his parents in the Yoga training imparted at Ananda Ashram, Sri Kambaliswamy Madam and ICYER from that time onwards.
He began his studies of classical Carnatic Vocal Music at the age of four years under Puduvai Kalaimamani Shri V Manikannan. At the age of seven years he began arduous training in Carnatic Music under the tutorage of Kalaimamani Srirengam R. Ranganathan of Pondicherry, one of the most famous Carnatic Vocalists of South India. He continued his training for twenty years until his Guru’s death in 2002. He has studied Mridungam since the age of five, beginning with world-famous Master Shri K M Vaidhyanathan in 1977. Later, Thiruvarur Shri R. Krishnamurthy, one of the most respected classical Mridungists of modern times, accepted him as a disciple. He began the study of Bharata Natyam under his mother Puduvai Kalaimamani Smt Meenakshi Devi Bhavanani in the Kalakshetra tradition of Rukmani Arundale when he was five years of age. At the age of eight, world-famous Bharata Natyam master Padmasri Adyar K. Lakshmanan of Chennai accepted him as a disciple. He treasures all these blessed relations with his Gurus that the Divine has bestowed upon him in his artistic evolution.
His initial training in scholastic work was in the Ashram itself and only when he was thirteen was he sent to Bhavan's Gandhi Vidyashram, Kodaikanal, to do his formal schooling. At school in addition to his academic proficiency, he was also one of the cricket team's major stars and the all-round Athletic Champion. At school he was awarded the "K.S. Jayarama Iyer Award for Best Instrumentalist" for three successive years. In his final year he served as the School Captain.
He has written a book on Yoga For Children at the age of 12 years itself and has written and edited 15 other books including ‘Yoga And Modern Man’ that takes a look at various Yogic concepts with humorous cartoons and line drawings and “A Yogic Approach To Stress” that deals with the Yogic explanations and management of stress. The 2nd edition of the Stress Book was released recently. His “A Primer Of Yoga Theory” that has also been published in Tamil as “Yoga Vina Vidai Thoguppu” has become a standard textbook for Yoga Sport events and is also prescribed in many academic Yoga courses. It is now in its 3rd edition. “Yoga: 1 TO 10” explains numerous concepts of Yoga and Indian Culture through a numerical codification using the numbers 1 to 10. He coauthored a Tamil book on Basic Hatha Yoga Lessons of Gitananda Yoga as well as Yoga For Weight Loss. In the past few years he has authored, “Yoga For Health And Healing”, “Yoga For Weight Reduction”, Chakras, Hatha Yoga Of The Gitananda Tradition And Medication: The Inner Yoga.
He has also edited and revised the new editions of Dr Swami Gitananda Giri’s Correction of Breathing Disorders through Rishiculture Ashtanga Yoga and also Pujya Swamiji’s books on Mudras and Pranayama in the Gitananda Tradition. He has had 36 scientific and yoga papers and 30 scientific abstracts on Yoga and Yoga research published along with 10 notes compilations on Yogic education and therapy.
He has also scripted and presented 18 DVDs on Yoga that are being marketed for a worldwide audience in different languages by the famous Super Audio Company in Chennai.
He undertook the Diploma and Advanced Diploma courses in Yoga at ICYER under the guidance of his Guru-father Yogamaharishi Dr. Swami Gitananda Giri in 1991 and following this joined medical college in order to combine the best of eastern wisdom with the best of modern medical science.
During his Medical Studies at J.N.M.C Wardha (Nagpur University), he was the top student in a class of hundred. He secured Distinction in Surgery and a Gold Medal in Community Medicine in his final year, topping about 500 students from the five Medical Colleges affiliated to Nagpur University. He was also the Student Representative at Medical College. Later he completed his internship at JIPMER Hospital, Pondicherry, India.
He has completed with distinction a two-year, Post Graduate Diploma in Family Health (PGDFH) from Sri Ramachandra Medical College (Deemed University), Chennai (2003). He has also completed a Diploma in Psychological Counseling as well as a Diploma in Stress Management from the Institute for Health Care Administration, Chennai in 2001.
He was one of the Star performers in the television serial YOGA FOR YOUTH that was first broadcast over New Delhi Doordarshan in November 1989. This series of twenty-five episodes is regularly re-broadcast on the National Doordarshan Channel even to date. His musical concerts and Mridungam have been regularly broadcast over Pondicherry television. He has presented five Yoga programmes on NDTV in February 2008.
He was a performer of Bharata Natyam and has performed all over India and notably at the ABHAI National Dance Festival in 1992. Following his father's Maha Samadhi on Dec. 29-1993 he has stopped his dance performances and instead, focused his attention on Dance Choreography, especially in the rhythmic aspect for Yoganjali Natyalayam. He has helped to choreograph 9 Major Dance Dramas and 12 Mini Dance Dramas for Yoganjali Natyalayam in the last eight years. In the last few years he has CO-DIRECTED the “Ramavathara” (2003), “Pancha Maha Bhuta” (2004), “Jayadeva’s Dasavathara” (2005) , “Navagraha Vazhipaadu: A homage to the Navagrahas” (2006), “Karna Charitram” (2007), “Namashivaya Vazhga”- The story of Thiru Gnana Sambandar (2008) and Panchali Sabadam (2009). He has also recently composed the music as well as choreographed two complete Bharatanatyam Margams (the classical performing repertoire) that could be called “Ananda Nartana Margam”
As a Carnatic Vocalist he has released two albums of which "The Yoga of Sound" has the unique blend of English lyrics with Carnatic Raga and Tala in an attempt, to bridge the gap between East and the West. The second Album 'Tamil Inbam' is a collection of Tamil Compositions in Carnatic Music. He is a regular performer at programmes in and around Pondy and has performed at the International Yoga Festival, Government Music Festival, Millennium Sunrise Festival, Thiagaraja Festival, Puduvai Tamil Isai Sangam and Eswaran Koil Kumbabhishekam amongst many others in Pondicherry. He is well known for his spontaneous imagination in the concerts and for his explanations on the Yogic aspects of Carnatic Music. He has performed innumerable vocal and instrumental recitals all over India including in Bombay, Dehra Dun, Chennai, Cochin, Lonavla (Pune), Chidambaram, Bangalore and Pondicherry. It is notable that he has performed three times in the Isai Vizha (Music Festival) conducted by the Govt of Pondicherry in 1998, 2000 and 2003. He has also performed in Italy, Switzerland, Germany, UK, South Africa, USA, Australia and New Zealand in recent times.
He has been a featured speaker at many Yoga conferences and is a regular featured speaker at the International Yoga Festival conducted by the Government of Pondicherry each year January 4th to 7th since 1993. He has also been the Co-ordinator and Jury at the International Yogasana Competition held at the International Yoga Festival – Pondicherry annually and is responsible for organizing the more than 800 contestants who come from all over India to participate. He has also organised Himalaya Yoga Olympiad in Pondicherry (2001) in his capacity as Himalaya State Coordinator and led the Pondy team to the National Himalaya Yoga Olympiad at Bangalore in November 2001.
He is responsible for reviving the Pondicherry Yogasana Association (2000) founded by Yogamaharishi Dr Swami Gitananda Giri in 1975. He is currently the General Secretary of the Pondicherry Yogasana Association and a member of the Executive Committee of Indian Yoga Federation, Kolkata. He is an Advisor to the World Yoga Council and Member of the International Council for Yoga Sport in the International Yoga Federation, South America. He has been honoured as Vice President of the Asian Union of Yoga, New Delhi that is affiliated to the International Yoga Federation. The PYA has been active in conducting Yoga Sport events such 24 Pondicherry State Level Yoga Sport Championships and TEN Swami Gitananda Best Youth and Child Award Competitions.
Yoga for him is not just the performance of a few Asanas or Pranayamas but is a means for evolution of the human mind in to further states of consciousness and awareness.
He has been instrumental in developing the concept of “Yoga Tableaus” as a performing art and has trained hundreds of young people in the difficult art of acrobatic Yoga Asanas. The Yoga-Asana Tableau Concept has been developed by Dr. Ananda a vital tool in inculcating the sense of “team spirit and mutual cooperation” into youngsters. His pioneering efforts in this field have been widely applauded. As well, Dr. Ananda has been a pioneer in the revival of the use of the acrobatic Natya Karanas (difficult, athletic and acrobatic postures of Bharata Natyam) into the modern dance repertoire. With his finely developed aesthetic sense, he tastefully weaves these acrobatic poses into his classical dance choreography and productions.
As chairperson of Yoganjali Natyalayam he has coordinated programmes at Bangalore (sVYASA), Chennai (Arkaya Foundation), Alangudi (Guru Stalam), Kodaikanal (Bhavan’s Gandhi Vidyashram), Tanjore (Salangai Natham 2004 for the South Zone Cultural Centre) and Mahe (Varnam 2004 for the Dept of Art and Culture). He also coordinated the Yognat team’s performance during the Cultural Procession marking the 50th year of Pondicherry Independence in August 2004. He has also coordinated the spectacular annual day celebrations of Yognat for the past 16 years along with the annual full length dance drams productions by Yognat. He has also coordinated many programmes for the Pondicherry Music and Dance Artistes Association in the past few years.
He has attended various Yoga Conferences and seminars at New Delhi, Bombay, Lonavla, Bhopal, Bangalore, Chennai, Kancheepuram, Madurai and other places along with his parents. He has assisted in the conduct of three International Yoga Conferences conducted at Pondicherry by Ananda Ashram under Dr. Swami Gitananda and Smt Meenakshi Devi Bhavanani.
He has had the good fortune of meeting and receiving the blessings of numerous Great Yoga Masters such as Swami Chidanada, Swami Chinmayananda, Swami Satchidananada, Swami Dayananda, Swami Digambarji, BKS Iyengar, Sri Yogendra Desai, Sri TK Desikachar, Sant Keshav Das, Sri Amrit Desai, Sri Direndra Brahmachari and Sri Yogeshwar. He has also been privileged to receive the blessings of eminent Scientist Yogis such as Shri RR Diwakar, Dr K Arunachalam, Dr B Ramamurthy, Prof TR Anantaraman, Dr W Selvamurthy, Dr Nagendra, Dr Nagaratna, Dr MV Bhole, Dr SV Rao, Dr RP Pandey, Dr Khapre, Dr SR Joharapurkar and Dr Madanmohan.
As a Mridungist he has accompanied great artists like Padma Bhushan T.V. Sankaranaarayanan, Kalaimamani Srirengam Ranganathan, Kalaimamani Kulikkarai S.P. Vishvalingam, Vidushi Radha Kalyanaraman, Smt Matangi, Shri B Govindarajan, Kumbakonam M.R. Gopinath, Kalaimamani SV Jagadeesan etc. on the Mridungam and is a 'B' Grade Mridangist recognized by All India Radio. He regularly plays for Yoganjali Natyalayam dance performances. He has played Mridungam for Sendhen Tamilisai, a Music Album by Kalaimamani Pulavar I Pattabhiraman in 2002 as well as Bhakti Mani Mala, a music album sung by Smt Jyothirmayi (2003). He has also played Mridungam in the Music Therapy Albums of Dr Hariharan PhD.
He is a life member of the INDIAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION; AbHai (Association of Bharata Natyam Artists of India); Chennai, IAYT (International Association of Yoga Therapists, based in U.S.A); IYA (International Yogatherapy Association of the International Yoga Federation based in South America), APPI (Association of Physiologists and Pharmacologists of India), Indian Academy of Yoga, BHU, Varanasi and the PONDICHERRY PSYCHOLOGY ASSOCIATION.
He is Honorary International Advisor to the International Association of Yoga Therapists (IAYT) in the USA, the Australian Association of Yoga Therpists and Review Editor for the Yoga Mimansa journal of Kaivalyadhama, Lonavla, India.
He is the Hon Chairman of the Sanathana Dharma Sangha, the Hindu Movement in Italy and Europe as well as more than one hundred Rishiculture Ashtanga (Gitananda) Yoga centres all over the world. He is also Patron of the Gitananda Yoga Associations of Australia, Spain, Germany, United Kingdom North America and Italy.
He has traveled abroad SIX TIMES and given workshops, classes, lectures, performances and talks in USA (San Francisco), UK (Cornwall and Wales), Italy (Rome, Milan, and Savona), Switzerland (Locarno), Germany (Berlin), Australia (Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Gold Coast and Victoria), New Zealand (Paraparaumu), South Africa (Cape Town). He was a featured Guest at the MILAN YOGA FESITVAL 2007 and 2008 where he gave successful workshops and performed concerts of South Indian Music for an appreciative audience. He was a featured guest presenter at the International Yoga therapy conference in San Rafael, USA where he lectured and taught in October 2008. He has given invited talks at the Tagore centre of the Indian Embassy in Berlin in 2007 and 2008. He was invited guest of the National Institute of Integrative Medicine, Melbourne in April 2009. He has taught and performed at the GITANANDA ASHRAM in Italy on all of his four visits to the “MINI INDIA” that has been created in Savona by Swami Yogananda Giri.
Dr. Ananda is a Senior Lecturer in Mantra, Yantra, Yoga History and Philosophy and Yoga Physiology and Anatomy for the fully residential Yoga Teachers Training Courses at the International Centre for Yoga Education and Research (ICYER) in Kottakuppam, Tamil Nadu. These full time residential courses, the Six Month International Yoga Teachers Training Course and the One Year Yoga Teachers Diploma Courses are well established and presented to an international professional standard. These courses have been held annually since 1968 and students from all over the world attend these Yoga Teachers Training courses.
Dr. Ananda is a the Chairman of the International Centre for Yoga Education and Research (ICYER) in Kottakuppam, Tamil Nadu, an internationally acclaimed Yoga Institute established as “Ananda Ashram” in 1968. He is Chairman of Yoganjali Natyalayam, a world famous Institute of Yoga, Bharata Natyam, and Carnatic Music established in Pondicherry in 1993. He is also Director of studies for both these Institutes
He has received the Marudha Ramalinganar OUTSTANDING YOUNG PERSON AWARD and Rolling Shield for the year 2002 from the Youth Peace Centre, Pondicherry and received the title award of “Yoga Vibhushan” from Tamil Nadu State Yoga Association and Sports Development Authority of Tamil Nadu (Tuticorin) at the 15th Tamil Nadu State Yogasana Championship held at Kovilpatti, Tuticorin Dist, Tamil Nadu in August 2003.
He received the title award of “Yoga Bishmacharya” from the Tirumoolar Yoga and Natural Diet Trust, Chennai and Tamil Nadu State Yoga Association at the Tamil Nadu State Yogasana Championship held at Chennai in November 2004.He has been honoured with the “Yoga Chakravarthy” title awarded by Gitanjali Yoga Centre in September 2005.Other titles and awards received by him are “Palkalai Chemmal”, “Sagala Kala Vallavan”, “Isai Sevagan”, “Puduvai Mannin Maindhan”, “Achiever Award 2003”, “Jnana Vruddha”, “Muthaizh Suvaignar”, “Mattala Vittaga Mamani”, “Sevai Thilagam” ,“Shiva Yoga Chudar”, “Yoga Kalaimamani”,“Yoga Thilagam” and “ Saivneri Isai Chemmal”.
He worked for four years from 2000 to 2004 as a SENIOR RESEARCH FELLOW in the Yoga Research Project conducted by the Department of Physiology, JIPMER under the auspices of the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare as well as Ministry of Defense, Govt of India, New Delhi. He is involved in various research studies at JIPMER and has published numerous scientific papers on these findings.
He worked as MEDICAL OFFICER in the Village Health Programme and the Child to Child Health Education Programme run by the AUROVILLE HEALTH CENTRE in the International Township of Auroville, Tamil Nadu from 1999 to 2000 and again from 2004 to 2008).
He is at present PROGRAMME COORDINATOR in the Advanced Centre for Yoga Therapy, Education and Research (ACYTER), JIPMER, Puducherry from March 2009 onwards.
He is happily married to Yogacharini Devasena Bhavanani who has a Masters degree in Sanskrit in addition to being a Yoga Expert, Carnatic Vocalist and Bharatanatyam Dancer, teacher and choreographer. They have a talented daughter Dhivya Priya Bhavanani and son Anandraj Bhavanani.